$400 prize for each of the top three entries.
Each year, more than 67,000 women and girls die from unsafe abortion and millions more are injured. More than half are under the age of 25. Nearly 5.5 million unsafe abortions take place in Africa—and more than half the women who die from unsafe abortion live there. How has unsafe abortion affected your life? Do you know someone who has been injured? Do you know someone who has had to resort to an unsafe abortion because she had no other options? Have you lost someone you loved? What can you do to break the silence of unsafe abortion and support women? Tell the story in your art.
Entries can include any written or visual artwork, like tattoos, stickers, painting, photography, videos, collage, creative writing and more. Videos can include dance, theater or documentary or fictional films. Please include a brief written description of your work (1-5 sentences).
* Contest begins May 1, 2010 and the deadline has been extended to July 30, 2010. All eligible entries must be submitted between these dates.
* Open to all people in Africa under the age of 25, except Ipas employees.
* Winners will be announced by the end of October, 2010.
* Entries are limited to the first three submissions per person.
* Artwork should be high resolution, print-quality photos (300 dpi).
o Don't submit your original art, take a digital photo and submit below.
o Artwork must be in .jpg, .gif, .png or .tiff format.
* Essays must be at least 500 words and no more than 1600 words.
o Written work must be submitted in .doc, .txt or .rtf format.
* Videos must be:
o Less than 10 minutes
o Submitted in .zip format
* Submissions will be judged by a panel chosen by Ipas.
* All entrants must hold exclusive rights to the artwork they submit and by entering are claiming such ownership. If it is determined an entrant has fraudulently claimed ownership of their submission, the entry will immediately become void and ineligible.
* By entering a submission, entrants are granting Ipas perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive rights to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of their entry. When reproduced, all entries will be credited to the artist when possible. Ipas will not sell or give away entries to other parties without the permission of the owner.
* Failure by Ipas to enforce any of its rights at any point does not constitute a waiver of these rights. Ipas reserves the right to suspend or cancel the Contest or modify these rules at its discretion.
* By receiving a prize, winners agree to release and hold harmless Ipas and its employees, directors and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, whether under a theory of contract, tort or otherwise.
Tell us your story and help raise awareness about the impact of unsafe abortion in Africa.